Cisco catalyst Switches VSS (Virtual Switching System) and Juniper VC (Virtual Chassis) have been earned acceptance by customers and are in market for quite some time now. With both cisco VSS and Juniper Virtual Chassis having single control and single management plane, both vendors boast of their technological edge over other.VSS and VC are pretty more than just stacking technologies. While Stacking requires built in ports and can span meters only, Cisco VSS and Juniper VC members can expand upto 70 KMs – members may be physically scattered across geographical locations. While Cisco catalyst services switches support VSS (Cisco 4500, 6500, 6800 catalyst Switches) Juniper EX and QFX (EX2200, EX3300, EX4200, EX4500 and EX4550, EX4600, EX8200, QFX Series) support VC technology.
Some of benefits garnered through Cisco VSS and Juniper VC technology are as under –
- Single management view for all boxes in VSS/VC
- HA with GRES/GR/NSR (Juniper VC)
- No single point failure.
- One common CLI for all platforms
- Common SPF+ adapter support
- Higher throughput and performance
- No ports blockage due to Spanning Tree
Juniper VC has some additional benefits like –
- Scalability (number of switches in a virtual chassis) being upto 10 members
- One Line execution for upgrading ALL VC members
- Support for Multiple Switch models in VC
Below table enumerates the difference between Cisco VSS and Juniper VC technology –