A Hybrid cloud is an integrated cloud service utilizing both private and public clouds to perform. Therefore, an organization can maximize their efficiencies by employing public cloud services for all non-sensitive operations, only relying on a private cloud where they require it and ensuring that all of their platforms are seamlessly integrated.
Hybrid cloud is a cloud computing environment which uses a mix of on-premises, private cloud and public cloud services with orchestration between the two platforms. By allowing workloads to move between private and public clouds as computing needs hybrid cloud gives business a greater flexibility and more option on data deployments.
A Hybrid cloud configuration, can offer its users the following features –
Scalability – when comparing private cloud and public cloud in terms of scalability, public scores and leads this race. Though private clouds do offer a certain level of scalability, however public cloud services will offer scalability with fewer boundaries because resource is pulled from the larger cloud infrastructure. By moving as many non-critical application functions as possible to the public cloud it allows an organization to benefit from public cloud scalability whilst reducing the demands on a private cloud.
Economical – Public clouds are offer more significant economies of scale (such as centralized management), and so greater cost efficiencies, than private clouds. Hybrid clouds therefore allow organizations to access these savings for as many business functions as possible whilst still keeping sensitive operations secure.
Security – The private cloud element of the hybrid cloud model not only provides the security where it is needed for sensitive operations but can also satisfy regulatory requirements for data handling and storage where it is applicable
Flexibility – the availability of both secure resource and scalable cost effective public resource can provide organizations with more opportunities to explore different operational avenues
Below excerpt gives a view whether customer on Cloud is using Hybrid Cloud or not
A cloud is hybrid –
- A company that uses a public development platform that sends data to a private cloud or a data center based application.
- A company leveraging a number of SaaS (Software as a Service) applications and moves data between private or data center resources.
- When a business process is designed as a service so that it can connect with environments as though they were a single environment.
A cloud is not hybrid –
- If developers in organization use a public cloud service for an application that is completely disconnected from the private cloud or the data center.
- If a company is using a SaaS application for a project but there is no movement of data from that application into the company’s data center.