VPRN – Virtual Private Routed Network –
VPRN is an abbreviation for Virtual Private Routed Network. This is a Layer 3 VPN technology and generally used Alcatel Lucent (Nokia) Routers in Service provider domain.
VPRN is a Multipoint-to-Multipoint Layer 3 VPN Service that connects multiple customer locations in a single logical routed architecture over IP network of a Service Provider.
Multiple customer networks exist in this IP/MPLS network, however, the VPRN service running on service provider network does not allow networks, different customer, to be known or interact.
Types of VPRN Routers –
- Provider Router (P): Service Provider Core Routers.
- Provider Edge Router (PE): Service Provider Core Routers that are towards Customer.
- Customer Edge Router (CE): Customer Routers that towards to Service Provider Edge Routers
As with VPRN, multiple sites of the customer can connect over the IP/MPLS Network of Service Provider. So, from the customer perspective, the sites are connected to a Router.
Benefits of VPRN Service :
- Multiple customers can be served over a single IP/MPLS Network by Service Provider.
- Any private IP Subnets can be used by the customer.
- Redundancy can be given to the customer.
- Customers benefit using a service provider managed IP/MPLS Network without extra efforts.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am here to share my knowledge and experience in the field of networking with the goal being – “The more you share, the more you learn.”
I am a biotechnologist by qualification and a Network Enthusiast by interest. I developed interest in networking being in the company of a passionate Network Professional, my husband.
I am a strong believer of the fact that “learning is a constant process of discovering yourself.”
– Rashmi Bhardwaj (Author/Editor)