Router Interface descriptions are very useful for network administrators especially during event of troubleshooting, configuration change of link migration is required. Adding “Description” of Interface is useful for administrative purposes since this helps us to remember the port functionality and Infact the circuit details.
The recommended uses for the Cisco Router/Switch interface description command are –
- For Identifying the interface
- Mentioning whom to reach out to during event of interface down
- Documenting the circuit information (Ckt Detail)
- Using description for notes on circuit etc
Historical modifications of “Description” Command are –
- Release 4.0(0)N1(1a) – This command was introduced.
- Release 5.0(3)N1(1) – Support for Layer 3 interfaces was added.
- Release 5.1(3)N1(1) – Support for virtual Ethernet interface was added.
The command can be used in following Interface types –
- Ethernet interface
- Management interface
- Virtual Ethernet interface
Below is configuration example where Interface Description is used on Interface Fa0/0 of Router “R1” –
Note – A description of an interface is locally significant and can be up to 240 characters long.