Introduction to Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP)
A Managed Security Service Provider, known in the cyber security community as MSSP, is a company that provides services such as monitoring and management of security devices and systems. Most of these companies have created advanced security operation centers, that operates in 24/7 schedule and they manage key security related functions like firewalls, intrusion detection, VPNs, vulnerability scanning processes and antivirus services.
MSSP’s presence was first introduced in the late 1990’s. The companies that started offering such kind of services were Internet Service Providers (ISP). The main activity initially for the users was firewall appliance and later on the extended to a firewall management solution.
Key services of Managed Security Services (MSS)
Nowadays, the main categories that Managed Security Providers offer have been listed and presented below:
- On Site Consulting: In this category, the core concept is the ability of the MSSP to provide mitigation On-Site. It uses the customer’s infrastructure for product integration after an intrusion has been occurred. This type of support may also include comprehensive security assessment and design.
- Perimeter Network Management: In this type of category, the main services are installation and upgrades of the existing firewall, VPN and malware detection software/hardware of the customer. Other tasks may include management of the firewall’s routing rules and regularly reporting system on intrusion alerts.
- Resale of Product: Although, this may not be a managed service. It refers to the design, validation and resale of valuable hardware and software for a variety of security related tasks to the customer by the MSSP.
- Security Monitoring: This refers to the initial step from the MSSP in an incident response process. The services used are 24 * 7 * 365 monitoring and interpretation of important system events throughout the network. In more details the customer’s infrastructure is scanned for unauthorized intrusions, malicious attacks, Denial of Service (DoS) and trend analysis.
- Penetration Testing: In this type of service, the MSSP provides periodic software scans in order to find vulnerabilities in a technical and logical perimeter of customers IT technologies. The MSSP does not access the whole network’s security, neither reflects personnel related exposures due to disgruntled staff.
- Compliance Monitoring: The service offered in this type from the MSSP is the monitoring of event logs. If there is a change to a system that violates a formal security policy, it will be detected by the mechanism.
Advantages of Using Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP)
Today MSSP’s have the intention to augment or replace a company’s internal IT Security Team. By hiring a MSSP company, there are many advantages such as:
- Filling Employee Roles: The main advantage of partnership with an MSSP is the fact that there is no need to search for advanced experts in the cyber security field. The internal security IT Team is reduced resulting to a decreased maintenance cost.
- Round The Clock Protection: Another main advantage when hiring a MSSP company is the availability on 24/7 schedule. Cyber attacks can occur at any time, not only morning working hours. Therefore, the maintenance cost for security services is reduced, without paying internal IT experts for extra working time.
- Compliance Support: The new regulations authority GDPR and CCPA are growing, creating needs for a complicated IT infrastructure. An advantage of hiring a MCCP company is the ability to deal effectively with these standards by collecting data and generating daily reports.
- Quality Management Solution: Nowadays, in the cyber security community solutions are most effective, when they are established and managed by an expert in the field. Therefore, when partnering with an MSSP company, each organization gains the benefit of a quality security management offering in-house solution.
3 Advantages Of Outsourcing Your Cyber Security to an MSSP
- Cost and Time Savings.
- Specialized Security Expertise.
- Managed Cyber Risk.
Conclusion on Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP)
As the needs for reliable services grow every day, large organizations cannot leave cyber security threats on luck or depending on internal IT groups.
Therefore MSSP companies will continue to grow. Now In order to stay competitive and profitable in this environment, technology requirements and services roadmap based on strategy should be continually addressed.
Hopefully, this article has provided a general guideline of this roadmap and how cyber security services can provide security services which are a huge challenge incurs huge hassle to all the organizations.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am here to share my knowledge and experience in the field of networking with the goal being – “The more you share, the more you learn.”
I am a biotechnologist by qualification and a Network Enthusiast by interest. I developed interest in networking being in the company of a passionate Network Professional, my husband.
I am a strong believer of the fact that “learning is a constant process of discovering yourself.”
– Rashmi Bhardwaj (Author/Editor)